Aski Reclamation LP
- Biodiversity & Sustainability
- Training & Education
Aski Reclamation Ltd. is Saulteau First Nations company supported by British Columbia Oil and Gas Commission (OGC) that specializes in reclaiming orphaned wells with native plants within Treaty 8 territory. With capacity funds and 5 initial projects, Saulteau and Aski Reclamation anticipate 10 projects a year out of the 9,000 abandoned and suspended oil wells within Northeast BC.
Aski Reclamation LP primary focus is on the “back end” of reclamation that encompasses:
- site assessments,
- plant prescription development
- installation of local native plants (seeding, staking and plug planting) and
- adaptive management and monitoring
The seed collection program started as an ethnobotany project that paired Saulteau Elders with youth and encouraged learning new skill sets that brought people out on the land.
HOW INVESTORS ARE HELPING ASKI RECLAIM NORTHEAST B.C
- A 2019 Grant through Northern Alberta Institute of technology provided one year of wages for training and starting a seed collection program
- A 2020 Grant Through North East Native Advancing Society was funded through the federal government as a direct wage subsidy for seed collectors
- We are seeking a wage subsidy for the 2021 seed collectors season
Part of decolonization is practicing treaty rights and learning traditional ecological knowlege which demonstrates an autonomy over traditional land use by working with industry to reclaim abandoned oil wells through a combination of traditional and western science. Seed collected in 2019 and 2020 will provide source for upcoming years of reclamation work as we see an increase in activity for orphaned and abandoned wells to be reclaimed.
BENEFITS OF THE SEED COLLECTION PROGRAM
- Restoring the land and ‘growing people’ using cultural and scientific teachings with land-based activities.
- Returning the function of the land based on land use studies with the elders.
- Creates ‘Food Security’ for the next generation of band members through restoration of damaged lands with plants native to the land.
COMMUNITY BENEFITS FROM LAND RESTORATION
Restoring the land establishes a land base for animals to return to.
Investors are reclaiming the environment, by giving back to the land through sustainable harvesting of native seeds
- Land reclamation plays a significant role in climate change mitigation
Offers employment for on reserve community members
A working community is a happy community
All for the sustainability of people, culture and traditions
FOR MORE INFORMATION ON ANYTHING SEEN IN THIS PRESENTATION OR YOU WANT TO BECOME INVOLVED WITH THIS AMAZING PROGRAM PLEASE CONTACT ASKI RECLAMATION’S GENERAL MANAGER AT AAIRD@ASKILP.CA
S E E D C O L L E C T I O N P R O G R A M The seed collection program started as an ethnobotany project that paired Saulteau Elders with youth and encouraged learning new skill sets that br ...
Thousands of abandoned wells are waiting to be cleaned up in B.C. Here's how some First Nations are reclaiming the sites using their traditional knowledge of native plants and wildlife